Tuesday 22 July 2014

Where is Thursday Island anyway?


Well I got my flight details today. Turns out I am leaving Brisbane on the 2nd of August at 9.40am, arriving on TI at 4.30pm. So I've lost the extra weekend I thought I had in Brisbane. Oh well, what can I do about it - not much! From what I've been told and I understand I will have four months on TI on the ward and then head off to Bamaga back on the mainland for three months in December. After those three months. I will then head back to TI and have four months in emergency and a one month elective.

If you're like me, you might not be exactly sure where TI and Bamaga are. Of course I knew it was in the Torres Strait, and I definitely did not know where Bamaga was. So it was a case of google maps to the rescue. I've embedded a map for your viewing pleasure :) By the way, I looked at how far it is from Brisbane to TI and it's approximately 2200km as the crow flies. Bamaga is only about 30kms from TI contrast :P

As you can see TI is quite small, and it has no air strip. I will be flying from Brisbane to Cairns to Horn Island and then catching a ferry across to TI :) The land mass on the right is the Queensland mainland.



The hospital on TI is practically on the water! It has 38 beds, but is large in comparison to Bamaga hospital with only 10 beds!
 


And in relation to the rest of Queensland:
 


Well a much shorter post tonight.
Graduation tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. Oooh.... getting exciting! !!!! : -D. Well I knew where Bamaga was from our Cape York trip. But you should look at Google maps on satellite. .... looks so much more adventurous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are correct - everybody click on the map and go to satellite view!

      Delete