Thursday 4 September 2014

Wongai Ball

Saturday 30th August I went, with a group of about 8, to the Wongai Ball held at the Port Kennedy Association Hall, which raises money for the local Catholic School. The wongai is a native plant, sort of like a plum, but apparently tastes like dates. I haven't tried it - they didn't have any at the ball. There is a legend that states if you eat the fruit of the wongai on TI you will always be destined to return. I had a great time at the ball, until I got stepped on with a high heel. My foot is still sore! And has a nice bruise as well :/

Dinner was great - it was a Asian/Torres Strait style buffet, including a mix of things like fried rice, sweet and sour pork, a curry of some description and my new favourite, numus. This is an islander way of preparing fish, kind of like a cerviche, where the fish is 'cooked' in vinegar and lime juice and flavoured with garlic, onion, chili and coconut milk. YUM!


Pretty decorations on the ceiling

Wine out of a flashing cocktail glass -
just because!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment